This is a quick tutorial on how to change the default Terminal in Windows 11. To access your terminal, type “cmd” into explorer (or open it from Win+X) and then enter the command you would like to run within the window.
The “windows 11 terminal in windows 10” is a question that has been asked many times. This article will show you how to change the default Terminal in Windows 11.
Milan Stanojevic is a writer who lives in Belgrade, Serbia.
Expert in Windows and Software
Milan has been fascinated by computers since he was a youngster, and this has led him to be interested in all PC-related technology. He worked as a front-end web developer before joining WindowsReport. Continue reading
- Simply alter a single option in the command-line program to change the default Terminal in Windows 11.
- Because Windows 11 allows various shells, you have the option of changing the default shell and selecting the one that best suits your needs.
- It’s worth noting that you don’t need to configure Windows Terminal while using this OS since it’s already a default command-line tool.
BY CLICKING ON THE DOWNLOAD FILE, YOU CAN INSTALL XINSTALL.
We propose Restoro PC Repair Tool to address a variety of PC issues: This program will fix common computer faults, protect you against file loss, viruses, and hardware failure, and optimize your PC to run at its best. In three simple actions, you can immediately fix PC problems and eradicate viruses:
- Download the Restoro PC Repair Tool, which includes patent-pending technologies (patent available here).
- To detect Windows faults that may be causing PC difficulties, click Start Scan.
- To correct problems that are hurting your computer’s security and performance, click Repair All.
- This month, 0 readers have downloaded Restoro.
Windows Terminal replaces PowerShell and Command Prompt as the primary command-line tool in Windows 11.
The program offers a lot of new features, including the ability to run several shell interfaces simultaneously, so you won’t have to learn how to use a new tool from start.
This functionality eliminates the need to start Command Prompt, PowerShell, or any other shell separately since they can all be executed from a single program.
Because Windows Terminal may run numerous shell interfaces, many users want to know whether they can choose a default command-line shell.
We’re pleased to tell you that this is one of the functions supported by the Terminal, and we’ll teach you how to change the default Terminal in Windows 11 in this article.
Is Windows Terminal a brand-new program?
Windows Terminal is a contemporary terminal application for Windows that supports a variety of shells, including Command Prompt, PowerShell, and Windows Subsystem for Linux.
Keep in mind that Windows Terminal is not a brand-new program. It was launched in 2019 and can be downloaded for Windows 10 through the Microsoft Store.
When using Windows 10, you can simply install Windows Terminal, but with Windows 11, Terminal is now the default command-line program, so you don’t need to download and install it separately.
Is Windows PowerShell and Command Prompt still accessible in Windows 11?
Yes, Windows 11 has Command Prompt and Windows PowerShell, and Windows Terminal may execute either or any other installed shell interface.
If you prefer PowerShell or Command Prompt to Windows Terminal, just search for them and open them in the same manner you would in prior Windows versions.
In Windows 11, how can I change the default Terminal?
1. Modify the Terminal options.
- In the Taskbar, click the Search icon.
- Now put Windows Terminal into the search box and choose Windows Terminal from the list of options.
- Select Settings from the menu by clicking the down arrow next to the Open tab.
- Now click Save after selecting the preferred Default profile.
After that, your default command-line shell will be changed, and the chosen program will be used to handle your commands every time you launch the Terminal.
2. Modify the PowerShell or Command Prompt settings
- Start a Command Prompt (or PowerShell). You may do so by going to Search, type command prompt, and then selecting Command Prompt from the results.
- Choose Defaults by right-clicking the title bar.
- Change the Default Terminal Application under the Terminal tab. To save the changes, click OK.
If you’re having trouble launching PowerShell, visit our Windows PowerShell has stopped functioning tutorial for instructions on how to get it running again.
What are the characteristics of Windows Terminal?
The multi-tab interface, which allows you to have many tabs open, is one of Windows Terminal’s most distinctive features.
This is important since the Terminal supports multiple shells, allowing you to utilize Command Prompt and PowerShell from the same program.
You may rename tabs, give them new colors to recognize them better, or alter the whole application’s color scheme.
Finally, Windows Terminal offers a specialized search capability that makes it simple to locate any output.
How can I get Windows Terminal to open?
1. Open the menu by pressing Win + X.
- To do so, hold down the Windows key and the X key.
- Select Windows Terminal from the drop-down menu.
2. Use the Run command.
- Using the Windows Key + R combination, open a new window.
- Now put wt into the search box and hit Enter.
3. Make use of the contextual menu
- Select any open directory using the right-click menu.
- From the menu, choose Open in Windows Terminal.
Keep in mind that this technique will open the Terminal in the specified directory rather than the default.
4. Make use of search
- To do so, hold down the Windows Key and the S key at the same time.
- Select Windows Terminal from the list of results after typing Windows Terminal.
The Terminal is an excellent command-line tool, and changing the default Terminal in Windows 11 is easy and takes just a few seconds.
The Terminal is configured to run PowerShell by default, and you should be able to execute most commands from it, but if you need to change your default shell, follow the procedures in our tutorial.
If you’re a Mac user, things aren’t quite as difficult. To make instructions simpler and easier to remember, you may rapidly open a file from Mac Terminal.
Are you also utilizing Windows 11’s new command line? Let us know what you think in the comments area below.
Was this page of assistance to you?
Thank you very much!
There are insufficient details It’s difficult to comprehend Other Speak with a Professional
Start a discussion.
Watch This Video-
Windows 10 has a default terminal that can be changed with the “change default terminal windows 10” command.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I change Windows Terminal to default?
A: The easiest way to change the default terminal is by opening up the Terminal app on Windows and changing it from there.
Where is the Windows Terminal settings file?
A: There are two files that can be found in the Windows folder called Windows.exe and Windowssystem32configsystemprofileusershellsremotepolicies.
- windows 11 terminal settings
- windows 11 terminal commands
- windows 11 terminal vs powershell
- windows 11 terminal linux
- windows 11 terminal shortcut